“I commend my soul to any god that can find it.”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal
I’ve done challenge number one and making fairly steady progress on challenges 2 and 10. I ought to look at some of the others and start making plans. Today is st valentines day so the logical one to look at would be challenge 2 – but for the very same reason today is far too depressing a day to start planning for that one, though recommendations for strange places to complete that challenge are welcome.
Then again, it is a saints day so I could be argued that I should have a look at challenge 12 (become an ordained minister of a religion or cult). This will be tricky being an atheist, also the wording of the challenge implies that I should become an ordained minister of an existing religion – I’m not allowed to start a new one (this is a shame as if I could start one of my own then “thou shalt not get over excited about cupcakes” would be near the top of the commandment list). The Catholics do seem to have a vacancy coming up, and it would be nice to go straight in at the top…………

Do you think they might want to employ a supply pope? (p.s. i know its Robbie Coltrane really)
But apart from being utterly impossible it would also be horribly offensive to about 2 billion worshipers worldwide. I guess I have to start small, so some research into the world’s smaller, more obscure religions would seem to be called for. A quick bit of googling turned up some very bizarre religions including a group in the Czech Republic that believe in godly extra terrestrials communicating with us via a man called Brenda, the Nuwaubianists, who amongst other things believe………
· People were once perfectly symmetrical and ambidextrous, but then a meteorite struck Earth and tilted its axis causing handedness and shifting the heart off-center in the chest
· Each of us has seven clones living in different parts of the world
· Women existed for many generations before they invented men through genetic manipulation
· Homo sapiens is the result of cloning experiments that were done on Mars using Homo erectus
· Nikola Tesla came from the planet Venus
But my personal favourite is the Prince Philip Movement. The Prince Philip Movement is a cargo cult of the Yaohnanen tribe on the southern island of Tanna in Vanuatu. The Yaohnanen believe that Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, the consort to Queen Elizabeth II, is a divine being, the pale-skinned son of a mountain spirit and brother of John Frum. According to ancient tales the son travelled over the seas to a distant land, married a powerful lady and would in time return. The villagers had observed the respect accorded to Queen Elizabeth II by colonial officials and came to the conclusion that her husband, Prince Philip, must be the son from their legends. When the cult formed is unclear, but it is likely that it was sometime in the 1950s or 1960s. Their beliefs were strengthened by the royal couple’s official visit to Vanuatu in 1974 when a few villagers had the opportunity to observe the prince from afar. Prince Philip is aware of the religion and has exchanged gifts with its leaders and even visited them (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Philip_Movement).Interesting though all of these sound, none are particularly tempting to join. So instead I’m having a little go a religious observance by giving up something for lent, in my case chocolate – this has already backfired on me today when having discovered we were out of milk in the coffee room at work – I decided to have a hot chocolate and then realized I couldn’t – bugger! Thanks goodness I didn’t decide to give up beer!
Very funny blog mate. I can't decide what I like best: the thought of you as Pope cunningly disguised as Robbie Coltrane or the first commandment of your own religion “thou shalt not get over excited about cupcakes” (which I totally agree with by the way. I know I'm a massive fan of sugar, but that's way too much sugar for me. There's just no need for all that frosting. Just give us a cake!)
ReplyDelete