It isn’t one of this year’s challenges but I did say I would
keep going with the baking. I’ve been keeping myself quite busy on this as I
wanted to start making more of my own bread and I also wanted to make my own
musli bars (I spend far too much on these) - you can see what I’ve been making
below.
For the bread I’ve just been making basic bread mixes –
white buns and wholemeal buns – these are just white or brown bread flour with
a bit of yeast, salt, oil and honey. The white buns went very well but I had
some problems activating the yeast on the wholemeal ones – I knew thing hadn’t
gone so well when the bread didn’t rise whilst proving but decided to bake them
anyway just to see what the result was – as you can see in the photo it
resulted in some very small buns with the density of iron!
For the muesli bars I went with two different recipes, one
from weight watchers and one from Nigella Lawson. They both mainly consist of
seeds, nuts, dried fruit and porridge oats. The main difference between the two
was where the weight watchers recipe uses butter and honey to bind the
ingredients together the Nigella one uses condensed milk. Both sets of bars
taste very nice (even if I do say so myself) – but the Nigella recipe tastes
nicer to me. The other plus on this is that the ingredients cost less than 7
pounds for 32 bars – quite a lot cheaper than the ones I’ve been buying at
sainsbury’s.
I’ll keep going with the bread and post further progress here
in the weeks/months to come
raw white rolls.......
a little odd shaped - but risen well
brown bread cannon balls
missing muesli bars
the Nigella version
the weight watchers version (with one piece missing for quality control purposes)






No comments:
Post a Comment